Monday, July 13, 2009

Onsite - Real experience

On January, My Manager assigned me a new project to be worked at Client Location in Trinidad. The project needs to be worked for a period of 6 months. I was excited on hearing this but i felt guilty for not being there for my childhood friend's marriage and my cousin's marriage. After having a number of discussions with my friends and family i decided to go Trinidad. On April 13th i reached Port of Spain, the Capital of Trinidad. Due to long travel of more than 20 hours in flight, I was fully down and was dying to take rest. After a high torture in security check, I came out with my luggage and thank god, my cab driver (Mr.Drakes) was waiting for my pick up. After 20 mins driving, the car stopped at "Russel Court", a very beautiful and highly secured apartment and i got in to the 2nd flat.. I couldn't believe myself on opening the main door.. I had a vision of my Dream house, with all facilities, Fully air conditioned, neatly arranged sofas, High tech kitchen and a warm bedroom. After taking a warm shower, I went to the kitchen to refresh myself..I remembered my friends packing some ready mix, So I prepared my dinner using that with in 2 mins and satisfied myself saying thanks to MTR and my friends..
Trinidad is a very beautiful island and holds about more than 70% of its population from Indian origin. I didn't experience any environmental change as it completely resembles India other than the culture. Infact initially i struggled a lot to adjust with them but as the days went, i found the people to be very cooperative and friendly. During the first two weeks of my stay, i didn't experience any difficulty other than my loneliness. As i am from a joint family background, I felt very hard to spend the time alone.. I started to realise the value of family and friends and how much i am bonded with them. I spent most of the time in apartment by remembering the funny moments spent with my friends and smiling alone in a beautiful apartment. I slowly learned to do all the activities on my own and also experienced the pain involved in doing that.. For me ,Still cooking remains the most difficult job to be performed :) :).. it always ends up with a mess..
Days went on like that as i got new friends in the office and started to go out for parties and beaches during the weekends but nothing filled my loneliness and nothing satisfied me like the moments which i enjoyed with my friends in my hometown. Laptop happened to be my best company in the apartment and started to spend most time in browsing and chatting with friends..Really i didn't like this way of living and started to hate the concept of working at onsite..
Everyday i used to call my parents, One fine day I called them and the voice which i heard from the other side made me to think for sure that something went wrong ..I spoke to my Mom, sis, aunt, brothers etc.. I can feel some sort of sadness filled in their voice..After a long compulsion, My sis told me the news about " the sudden demise of my cousin sister", I remembered she was blessed with a baby boy two months before..I couldn't reply anything other than tear..I felt very down as i couldn't even see her face for the last time... I used to dream about working at client location and now i felt that is useless.

Working at Client Location gives me Knowledge (Not Much), Money and exposure to outside world . These things I can list under my gains .. But missing certain events in personal life which cannot happen again is a great loss and it can't be regained ....

No comments:

Post a Comment